Did you know that Wildcats generate almost 60 lbs of trash during one lunch recess??? That’s A LOT of trash!
Our Green Team preformed a trash audit on Oct 9th during lunch recess. Students sorted their lunch-generated waste into 17 categories.
Some Audit Results:
- 12% was recyclable, 88% was landfill trash or compostable.
- 75% of the collection was food waste and 25% non-food waste.
- Untouched whole food weighed 20.3 pounds and represented about a third of the total waste weight.
- Partially eaten food made up 42% of the total waste.
- The majority of the food waste was hot lunch food.
- Plastic and other snack packaging were a major component of lunches from home.
- Most of the discarded plastic spork bags (from hot lunch) were unopened and untouched, and ALL still had the napkin unused inside of it.
Please keep these findings in mind when packing your kiddos lunches and talk to your kids about the amount of waste generated each day. Stay tuned for some M.E. Green Team tips for families to help reduce the amount of waste on our campus. Thanks for your help to make M.E. more GREEN!